Friday, 21 April 2017


Manchester United Fans Electrocuted In Calabar.

Over thirty football fans were reported to have died as a result of a high tensions electricity cable that fell on the roof of the building in which they were watching Manchester United playing against Anderlecht in their quater-final second leg of the Europa League Cup on Thursday Night.

The sad incident occurred when high tension cable broke off and fell on a viewing centre where they were gathered, leading to their electrocution.

According to multiple sources, the fans stormed the viewing center in Atimbo area of Calabar a state  in Nigeria to watch the football match between Manchester United and RSC Anderlecht of Belgium when the tragedy struck.

It is not yet certain the exact official figure of casualties from the accident, but sources on ground say no fewer than 30 people lost their lives.
The Cross River State Police Command is expected to make an official statement regarding the tragedy later on Friday

Manchester United took to the social media to express their sadness, with a message that read: ‘Our thoughts go out to the United fans, their friends and families affected by the tragedy in Calabar, Nigeria, yesterday.’
Manchester United Tweet To The Death Of Their Fans In Calabar Tragedy

Eye witnesses revealed that about 80 persons were watching the game when the incident happened which left about 10 persons sustaining injuries.

A source said: “It happened during the match between Manchester United and Anderlecht. I heard a deafening bang. I rushed out to see what was happening. When I turned back to go inside the viewing centre, I saw a cable coming down on the centre and this killed the viewers in the hall.

“It was a horrible sight to behold. I wish I didn’t come out to watch the match. Come to think of it, I have DStv at home but I enjoy watching matches at viewing centres. I could have been dead. I can’t believe that the people I was chatting and joking with a few minutes ago are all gone in a most anguishing way. This world is vain.”

A resident said: “The whole thing happened within a minute or two. It happened about 9:48pm. Those that died have been taken to the mortuary. A few that survived have been taken to hospitals.”

See More Pictures of The Incident and affected fans below

We at Punditsport say RIP to the death football lovers and our thought goes to their family and friends.



Post a Comment